- Adam and Eve: God walked with them in the cool of the evening
- Moses and Israel: a burning bush for Moses; and a pillar of cloud by day and fire by night for the recently escaped nation of Israel
- Israel (later on): prophets to speak for God; and a tabernacle/temple for the very presence of God to dwell
- Disciples: Jesus in the flesh, walking beside them…calling them to “follow him”
Oh, how things would be better you might think if Jesus would just show up and tell you what to do or where to go.
John 16:7 – Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.
- Teach you all things …
- Remind you of all things …
- Brings peace…
- He will guide us into all truth…
- He will glorify the son, take what is his, and declare to us…
- Continual voice of Christ to teach us what we need when we need it.
God has always been interested in one thing: relationship. He knew early on that the best way to accomplish relationship was not through rules or law, but rather through his dwell presence.
Romans 8:10-11 – But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give you life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
The greatest gift for our time is the gift of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the very presence and power of God in our lives.
- Describe a time where you clearly felt the presence of God in your life.
- Why is it easier for us to think we would rather have Jesus than the Holy Spirit?
- How would your life change if you actually believed the Spirit of God actively dwells within you?